Friday, June 6, 2008

Work Wise - #9, #37, #42, #47, and #88

All of the work-related items have been grouped into one post. You know, to be more efficient and stuff.

#9 Move up in my career

Okay, the work things. My work has this amazing-sounding development program where you apply for the program and move up the ranks without having to compete again. It's a great idea but is apparently really hard to implement. Either way, the got the program open for an intake in the fall. I applied and was accepted (so was everybody who applied, just to be clear) and through it I got bumped up to the next level. You could call that moving up in my career.

#47 Get a raise

And with that, I get a raise in pay.

#37 Stop wearing jeans to work and #88 Build up a more professional wardrobe

I can't remember when now, but a while ago, on a non-Friday work day, I got called into a meeting with the second-from-the-top guy and some important players in the pesticide game. I was wearing jeans. That day I vowed to stop wearing jeans to work, except on Fridays. So I did. And then I realized that I didn't have as many nice shirts as days in the work week. So I've been slowly acquiring nice clothing so I can not wear the same thing twice in one week.

#42 Buy back casual time

This is definitely a government thing. When you work as a student or a casual employee you do not pay into your pension. When you finally get hired on as a full time permanent employee, you do pay into your pension. But they let you "buy-back" the student / casual time essentially making your eventual retirement day that much closer.

Since I was a slacker and waited more than a year to start the process (I blame this partially on a very over-worked and cranky HR person) I had to have a full physical. I did that and sent in all the paperwork and voila, the money is coming off my paychecks and I can retire a measly three months before I could have before.

No comments: